Crathorne, as described in Baines' Directory 1823:
Crathorne in the wap and liberty of Langbargh; 4 miles SSE of Yarm.
The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient plain structure; in the chancel is an effigy of a knight cumbent in armour cross-legged, with the arms of Crathorne on his shield. This, it is conjectured, is the monument of Sir William Crathorne, Knight, who lived A.D 1322, near which is a mural monument, to the memory of Ralph Crathorne, Lord of Crathorne. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Lord Viscount Cullen.
Here is likewise a Catholic chapel, and a place of worship for the Primitive Methodists.
A mineral spring has been discovered about half a mile from this place. The village consists of about sixty-six houses pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Leven. Pop 330.
Corless Rev Geo, Catholic minister
Greensides Rev Ralph A.M., rector
Stringer John, gentleman
Storey S D
Chapman Thos, butcher
Hall William, tailor
Humble John, vict. Punch Bowl
Kilburn William, schoolmaster
Metcalf Thos, bricklayer
Nevill Joseph, linen manufacturer, bleacher, and corn miller
Rountree Richard, parish clerk
Tattersall John S, bailiff
Walton George, round timber merchant
Welford Robert, shoemaker