Crathorne, as described in White's Directory 1840:
Crathorne, a village and parish on the Thirsk road, and on the western side of the vale of the river Leven, 4 miles S by E of Yarm, contains 304 souls, and 2,460 acres of land, mostly the property of Mrs Mary Tasburgh, of Burghwallis, the lady of the manor and patroness of the Church, (All Saints) which is a small ancient edifice, and has in its chancel the recumbent effigy of a crusader, supposed to represent Sir Wm Crathorne, Kt, who lived in 1322, and whose family was long seated here. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £10 11s 10 ½d and now at £205, is enjoyed by the Rev Ralph Grenside, B A.
Here is a Catholic Chapel, which was rebuilt about sixteen years ago, and was founded by the Crathorne family. The interest of £74 4s 8 ½d, left by Thomas Baxter, in 1769, is paid to a schoolmaster for the education of poor children.
William Stringer, gent.;
Rev Ralph Grenside, B.A, Rectory;
John Goldie, wheelwright;
Wm Goldie, vict and blacksmith, Crathorne Arms;
John Layton, butcher;
Thomas Metcalfe, bricklayer;
Joseph Neville, corn miller and bleacher;
Thomas Rhymer, schoolmaster;
Rd Rowntree, parish clerk;
John Tattersall, woodman;
John Kendrew and Rt Welford, shoe makers;
John Garfat and Wm Hall, tailors;
and James Cuthbert, William Flounders, Wm Hill, Michl Lowe, Mary and Thos Pickering, John, Thos and Wm Robinson, and John Sanderson, farmers.