The parish of Rudby-in-Cleveland as described in Baines' Directory 1823:
HUTTON, in the parish of Rudby, wap. and liberty of Langbargh; 4 miles SW of Stokesley. An extensive, pleasant and populous village adjacent to the small village of Rudby, wherein is situated the parish church, there being at Hutton only a Methodist chapel, and one for the Primitive Methodists lately erected. Here is likewise a Union Sunday School, capable of containing one hundred and ten children. Linen is manufactured at this place to a considerable extent. Population, 919.
RUDBY, in the wap. and liberty of Langbargh; 3 ½ miles WSW of Stokesley; a small village, pleasantly situated near the banks of the Leven. The church is an ancient plain structure, dedicated to All Saints; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Hon. Lady Amherst; incumbent, Rev. Richard Shepherd. Here is a small school, with an endowment of £5 per annum, for teaching six poor children of the village. Population, 76.
SEXHOW, a small hamlet, in the parish of Rudby, wap. and liberty of Langbargh; 4 miles SW of Stokesley. Population, 38.
SKUTTERSKELFE, or LEVEN GROVE, in the parish of Rudby, wap. and liberty of Langbargh; 3 miles WSW of Stokesley. Near to this village is Folly Hill, a conspicuous seamark, which may be seen at the distance of twenty leagues upon the German Ocean. Population, 32.