... from my working notes ... accuracy not guaranteed ... for explanatory note, see post of 14 Feb 2013
11 May 1868: Codling mortgage: Mustard garth bounded by John Oates & George Davison to E, Robert Southeran to S and John Sidgwick to N
Yorkshire Poll Book 1807: Hutton Rudby: William Spencer [sic] weaver
ET 604: 12 & 13 Sep 1823: 4a close in Hutton Moor, previously occ by Bart Wright now by Simon Sidgwick the weaver, bounded by lands late belonging to Margaret Smith & now to William Spence to E
FQ 249: 13 & 14 Mar 1829: exors of Wayne to Barker: the Carpenters Arms with the cartwrights shop and stable on the west end thereof, the garden and the privy on the south & backside of the premises, bounded by road to East Rounton to E, by Mrs Elizabeth Hildreth to W & S, by road to East Rounton, John Robinson and Mr Farnaby to N – occ by Edward Meynell; the garth occ by Edward Meynell, bounded by Elizabeth Hildreth to E, by John Burdon to W, by Thomas Passman, Elizabeth Hildreth, Mr Kendall & William Spence to N, by road to East Rounton to S; the site where buildings lately occupied by John & Hannah Kay & taken down by Mark Barker stood; the garth now used as garden ground to the E & backside of the sd site; the new houses built by Mark Barker on the site and part of the garth: some of the houses and the garden ground “at present unoccupied”, the others occupied by Robert Hall, William Souter, George Sanderson, John Kay, Mary Lamb, Jackson Richardson, John Wild and Thomas Shaw: bounded by house & lands bel to Rev Richard Shepherd to E & S, by Arthur Douglas and townstreet to N & W
FS 577: 9 Jun 1831: Robert Norman paper maker to Robert Holliday Dobson of Potto gent: 6a close in Hutton known as the Cottages bounded by Widow Johnson to S, road to the Rountons to N, William Spencer to W, Mr Rickaby to E, occ by Robert Norman
GG 130: 31 Oct 1835: Thomas Spence of Hutton weaver & Dorothy his wife (1) Henry Collins of Stokesley gent (2): 2 houses now used as one, the weaver’s shop adjoining & the garden or orchard of 1r behind, occ by Thomas Spence; the butcher’s shop adjoining the weaver’s shop occ by William Sherwood: bounded by Lord Falkland to E, street to W, Mrs Kingston to N, Edmund Taylor to S; also Gowdie/Gowlay Hill Garth 1a with cowhouse occ by Thomas Richardson: bounded by John Charlton to E, by Francis Stainthorpe to W, by street to N, by Jane Willans & Edward Meynell to S; also house with garden & garth behind 2r, occ by William Merrington: bounded by street to E, William Wood to W, John Seamer to N, John Rymers & Francis Stainthorpe to S; also 3 closes formerly 2 closes called the Cottager 7a, previously occ by William Braithwaite as tenant to William Spence decd: bounded by Robert Halliday Dobson to E, George Hunter & William Ableson to W, by Rounton road to N, by Richard Johnson to S; “& all other the messuages lands tenements and hereditaments formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”
GZ 204: 2 May 1842: Thomas Spence late of Hutton weaver but now of Middlesbrough baker & shopkeeper (1) John Snowdon of Stokesley shoemaker (2) Thomas Sidgwick of Hutton linen manufacturer (3) George Wilson of Hutton linen manufacturer (4) reciting indres of 1839: John Snowdon had lent Thomas Spence £90 with £4-17-5d interest also owing, on Spence’s property on East Side: Spence sold Sidgwick the house (formerly 2 houses) & garden for £180, the mortgage to be paid off: the garden & orchard to be sold to Sidgwick was staked out and contained 33 p; previously occ by Thomas Spence and now by William Meynell; the rest to be sold to John Oates; mortgagee George Wilson
GZ 206: May 1842: Thomas Spence to John Oates for £50: the 2 shops, one formerly a weaver’s shop and now a carpenter’s and the other a butcher’s shop, with the ground behind now staked out and measuring 9 p: now occ by William Meynell, William Sherwood and John Oates: bounded by Thomas Sidgwick’s purchase from Spence to E & N, by street to W, Edmund Taylor to S; mortgagee George Wilson
Mrs Spence is in a list of names in the Middleton Book
Anne Spence is in a list of names in the Middleton Book
Mark Spence was given a prayer book worth 10d in the Rudby School accounts – Middleton Book
Catherine Spence is in a List of Girls – Middleton Book
M Spence was in A List of Boys – Middleton Book
Thomas Spence of East Side was a weaver, and he and his wife Dorothy appear in the 1836 Wesleyan class lists
They had children: Moses baptised 23 Feb 1831; and Titus baptised 15 Feb 1830; also Dorothy who lived 1837 to 1838. Moses died in 1831.
In 1835 he owned a house (previously two houses, now used as one) with a weaver’s shop and a garden behind, amounting to 1 rood.
He also owned an acre with a cowhouse at Goldie Hill, and a house and 2 roods of land occupied by Wm Merrington, just below Tisbut Row, and three closes called the Cottager or Cottage Fields out in the Hutton Fields/Moor area, on the Rounton road
The cottage fields had been occupied by Wm Braithwaite, as tenant to Wm Spence decd, and the deed included all lands “formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”. [William Spence of Hutton was buried aged 63 on 19 Jun 1835. Wm and Ann Spence(r) had Margaret in 1796, Thomas in 1797, William in 1799, and Elizabeth in 1801; possibly more.
1840 Whites: Hutton Rudby: Thomas Spence, grocer & draper – ie. the depression in weaving has forced him to change occupation.
In 1842 Thomas had left Hutton to become a Baker and Shopkeeper in Middlesbrough. He owed £90 to John Snowdon, and he sold up his Hutton property: the house and part of the garden (33p) was sold to Thomas Sidgwick for £180 - this was bounded by Mrs Kingston on north. The weaver’s shop, now used as a carpenter’s shop, with the butcher’s shop and 9p of land was sold to John Oates for £50. The mortgages were paid off, and it appears that George Wilson was the purchasers’ mortgagee.
The result can be seen on the 1891 map – the northern (Sidgwick) property has the majority of the garth.
William Spence, weaver of Hutton, and his wife Lucy had their son George baptised on 16 Jan 1831
1861 Census: Middleton Farm 393a: Spilman
Mrs Stainthorpe was a previous occupant of a house and garth on East Side bought by Edmund Taylor in 1803 from William Paley
Yorkshire Poll Book 1807: Hutton Rudby: Francis Stainthorp weaver
14 May 1810: house & garth and garth: Tipping & Wardell exors of Thos Wayne to Thomas Eland: house & garth 1a 2r 28p occupied by Eland, bounded by street to S, river Leven to N, Francis Tweddle & Francis Stainthorpe to E, and Christopher Sleigh to W; garth 1r 28p on north side of Hutton, formerly occ by Hannah Kay widow, now by Thomas Eland, bounded by B D Suggitt to S, Thomas Jackson to E, street to W and Isaac Whorlton to N
FA 299: 5 & 6 Nov 1824: 2 houses with garden, orchard, shop & stable in Hutton, lately bought by David Hebbron from Francis Stainthorp weaver of Hutton, occ previously by John Horner & Thomasin Burton, then by Thomas Edmund & Thomas Dalkin, then by David Hebbron & John Wiles: parties: David Hebbron of Hutton butcher & Michael Hebdon of Stokesley weaver, James Eden of Hutton grocer, Simon Kelsey, Robert Longstaff of Broughton yeoman, William Driver of Yarm gent
GG 130: 31 Oct 1835: Thomas Spence of Hutton weaver & Dorothy his wife (1) Henry Collins of Stokesley gent (2): 2 houses now used as one, the weaver’s shop adjoinging & the garden or orchard of 1r behind, occ by Thomas Spence; the butcher’s shop adjoining the weaver’s shop occ by William Sherwood: bounded by Lord Falkland to E, street to W, Mrs Kingston to N, Edmund Taylor to S; also Gowdie/Gowlay Hill Garth 1a with cowhouse occ by Thomas Richardson: bounded by John Charlton to E, by Francis Stainthorpe to W, by street to N, by Jane Willans & Edward Meynell to S; also house with garden & garth behind 2r, occ by William Merrington: bounded by street to E, William Wood to W, John Seamer to N, John Rymers & Francis Stainthorpe to S; also 3 closes formerly 2 closes called the Cottager 7a, previously occ by William Braithwaite as tenant to William Spence decd: bounded by Robert Halliday Dobson to E, George Hunter & William Ableson to W, by Rounton road to N, by Richard Johnson to S; “& all other the messuages lands tenements and hereditaments formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”
1841 Census: Francis Stainthorp 35 linen weaver and family inc Charles 5, North End
1841 Census: Mary Stainthorp 65 ag lab in household of John Drydale, North Side
1851 Census: North End: Francis Stainthorp 48 handloom weaver b Hutton and Ann 51 b Ingleby Arncliffe
1851 Census: North End: John Stainthorpe 40 handloom weaver linen b Hutton, Mary 36 b Easby and Francis 11 wks b Hutton
1872 Post Office Directory: Hutton Rudby: Charles Stainthorpe, butcher, Enterpen
13 May 1896: Annie Hutton Wilson bought the close on South Side numbered 182, which had belonged to Francis Stainthorpe, with the building on its NW corner
Oddfellows Board: Bro: Johnston Stamp, Kirby, 5 May 1879, a32
1851 Census: Middleton Mill: Thomas Stamper W 84 master miller farmer 88a bCroft, and son Edward M 55 farmer bHurworth, his wife Hannah 43 bMoulton and servants
1872 Post Office Directory: Middleton: Edward Stamper, miller
James Stanger, born Faceby, 1815-98 was the informant on Mr Barlow’s death certificate where he is described as “cousin”. He was then living at Kirby Sigston Lodge
John Stead was Barlow’s tenant in 1859 and saw him cut his hedge in June – Barlow’s Notebook
Archibald Steel occupied a house and garden owned by Sarah Sidgwick near the Station Hotel site in the Tithe Map
Churchwardens’ accounts 1838: £8-16s to Archibald Steel’s Bill “for < > New Window”
1840 Whites: Hutton Rudby: Archibald Steel, stone mason
1841 Census: Archibald Steel 30 stone mason & builder b Scotland, Mary 20, Henry 1, with Henry Steel 20 stone mason b Scotland, Enterpen
11 May 1868: Codling mortgage: North Side ppty bounded by John Mease to W and Miss Righton and George Davison to E, and occupied by James Stephenson, with the 6 messuages occupied by William Codling, James Catterick, Mrs Falshaw, Richard Richardson, James Stephenson and Reuben Bainbridge; Mustard garth bounded by John Oates & George Davison to E, Robert Southeran to S and John Sidgwick to N
1872 Post Office Directory: Hutton Rudby: James Stephenson, Station hotel, Enterpen
Churchwardens’ accounts 1831/2: “Thomas Stevenson Whitewashing £2-8-5”
1851 Census: Walker’s Yard: Ann Stockdale W 75 pauper bHutton
1851 Census: Walker’s Yard: Thomas Stockdale 35 blacksmith bStainsby Co Durham and wife Sarah 32 bHutton
17 Nov 1856: Ann Stockdale occupied a tenement previously occupied by Tamar Horner, sold to Barugh [East Side deeds]
11 Mar 1874: Thomas Stockdale occupied a house which John Oates agreed to sell to J G Wilson, north of Wheatsheaf [East Side deeds]
1872 Post Office Directory: Skutterskelfe: James Storey, farmer
1872 Post Office Directory: Rudby: Thomas Stringer, miller
George Davison (1790-1860) shoemaker, Rudby, married Ann Bage (1780-1853). He left £450 on his death. Buried in Rudby. Their children were Ann and George. Ann (1816-1855) married Thomas Stringer. George (1817-1871), shoe maker, Rudby, married Mary Ann Mundell (1817-1882) Buried in Rudby (issue).
Thomas Stringer was b 1816 Coverdale.
11 Jan 1846: Hutton Rudby: Thomas Stringer, grocer, of Appleton Wiske, son of Tobias Craddock Stringer, miller married Ann Davison, daughter of George Davison, shoemaker; witnesses: Byers Race and William Hebbron
Thomas & Ann Stringer had one daughter, Sarah Ann. Ann was buried 4 Mar 1855, a39.
27 May 1856: Thomas Stringer, widower, miller, a40, of Rudby, son of Tobias Stringer, miller, married Catharine James, a32, servant, daughter of George James, farmer; witnesses: George James, John Hebbron.
21 Mar 1751: baptism of Ann, daughter of Mr Benjamin Suggit, “mariner gentleman”
9 Jun 1752: baptism of John, son of Mr Benjamin Suggit, “mariner”
28 May 1757: baptism of David Benjamin, son of Mr Benj. Suggit, yeoman
4 Sep 1782: Benjamin David Suggit, gentleman, married Jane Nicholson [witnesses: Jane Carton, James Catchasides]
31 Mar 1787: baptism of Benjamin William, son of Benjamin David Suggit, born 23 Mar
B D Suggitt was the grandson of David Simpson, who set up a charity by his Will of 1783, administered by Suggitt.
The coastal connection: his father was a mariner, and his nephew a doctor in Whitby. A Whitby Suggett subscribed to Richard Weatherill’s history of Whitby shipping and George Suggett of London to the History of Whitby by Rev George Young.
Benjamin David Suggitt was one of the five men listed as gentry in 1823 Baines, Hutton
ET 293: 21 Mar 1823: sale of ppty of Samuel Hebbron late of Hutton nr Rudby butcher dealer & chapman now or late a prisoner in the gaol of the Castle of York: being the Shoulder of Mutton public house [predecessor of King’s Head], occ by Samuel Hebbron, then by David Hebbron & now by Robert Moss: bounded by Thomas Whorlton and Thomas Jackson, Thomas Cust, B D Sugget and Thomas Wayne to W and N, by street to S, by Thomas Jackson to E; also the stable; a close of 5a 2p bounded by William Wood to N, by William Dawson to E, W & S, and occupied by William Dawson; also land in Potto
FA 439: 15 Apr 1825: demise to Rev George Lewthwaite by George Merryweather, devisee of B D Suggitt
7 Aug 1822: Will of B D Suggitt
2 Apr 1823: death of B D Suggitt
5 Apr 1823: burial of Benjamin David Suggett a66
15 Apr 1823: grant of probate to George Merryweather jnr, nephew and sole exor
1841 Census: Middleton, cottage: Ann Suggitt 65 ag lab, Christopher Suggitt 10
1851 Census: Middleton: Ann Suggett W 78 bMiddleton, and brother John Shaw W 67 Chelsea Pensioner bMiddleton and grandson Christopher Suggitt U 18 ag lab bMiddleton
Nanny Sugget’s burial is jotted in Barlow’s Notebook as 23 Oct 1852, and recorded in the burial register as 26 Sep
7 Dec 1797: HR: William Surtees married Eden Dodds; witnesses: Thomas & Mary Jackson, Ann Brigham, John Eland, Thomas Hird and Elizabeth Catchaside
William Surtees & Eden Dodds had several children: Jane 1799, Sarah 1801, William 1803, John 1807, Sarah 1809 and probably Margaret 1811
Jane Surtees, spinster, had William 1817 and Elizabeth 1832-1845
Sarah Surtees, spinster, had Richard 1817
John Surtees was in A List of Boys – Middleton Book
John 1807-1827 [MI]
Jane 1799-1834 [MI]
19 Dec 1830: HR: Margaret Surtees married Edward Hansell of Kirklevington
1841 Census: Eden Surtees 70 ag lab, John Surtees 15 stone mason apprentice, Elizabeth Surtees 10, next to Hutton House
John is probably a son of Jane or Sarah, and could be the boy in A List
1851 Census: Eden Surtees widow 80 pauper, farm labourer, b Middleton, Yks
William died 1845 a66. Eden died 1854 a84
1871 Census: Eden Cottage: William Surtees 45, Clara 35 b Australia, Thomas 12, Eva Eden 3 b Australia, Amy 2.
William Surtees appears to have been a grandson of William Surtees and Eden Dodds. No trace of his baptism in HR. Eden may have brought him up: she lost her husband, son and a daughter, and lived with her grandchildren in the 1841 census. William’s first wife and two children died in Australia, and he returned to Hutton with his second wife and surviving family, and is said to have set up a linen manufactury in Albion House. He died in 1877, and his family seem to have left the village.
1872 Post Office Directory: Hutton Rudby: William Surtees, builder & contractor
1881 Census CD Rom finds no trace of William’s wife and daughters, but his son Thomas is a fitter, boarding with Margaret Hansell 38 laundress and her brothers Thomas 49 miller and William 31 joiner, all unmarried and b Stockton, in Brunswick Street, Stockton. John Hansell 47 b HR auctioneer and his large family lived in Regent St.
Diana Swales was a former occupant of property, once used as a coachhouse, sold by Kay and Colebeck to Mark Barker in 1830
FT 30: 12 & 13 May 1830: East Side: John Kay of Hutton cartwright & others to Mark Barker & trustees: house heretofore used as a coachhouse & formerly occ by James Ingledew, Mary Collyerson & Diana Swales, then by Elizabeth Farnaby, then by Charles Hall, then by Hannah Best, & now by Matthew Garbutt: bounded by street to E, Mark Barker to W & S, Arthur Douglas to N
J T Swales of Toft Hill Farm, who formerly farmed at Broad Carr, and was for 25 years a parish councillor and also had the office of school manager, was associated with the Wesleyan Church. Died in the 1920s [newspaper cuttings]
George Swallwell of Rudby was churchwarden in 1829-30
George Swallwell was at “a meeting held in vestry” on 16 Jun 1831 where they voted a church rate of 2 ½ per £ to church repairs
FS 461: 2 & 3 Feb 1831: George Smallwell [sic] had been a tenant of Rudby estate
FS 461: 2 & 3 Feb 1831: cottage 6a: occ by George Smallwell at £10-3s p.a
1840 Whites: Rudby: George Swallwell, saddler
1841 Census: Elizabeth Swallwell 14 servant in household of George Davison, Rudby